Would you like to look younger and feel more attractive? For many people this means avoiding wrinkles—here’s what you should know.
- Age—as you get older your skin gets thinner, less elastic, and more fragile, which makes wrinkles more visible.
- Repeated facial expressions—this is why many people have wrinkles between the brows and near the eyes and mouth.
- Smoking—smoking accelerates the aging process and damages your skin and your health, so wrinkles show up sooner and more prominently.
- UV radiation—UV radiation seriously damages your skin and can lead to cancer, discoloration, tough skin, and, of course, wrinkles
Can you prevent wrinkles?
While wrinkles are a natural part of getting older, there are many things you can do to take care of your skin and keep it looking young and smooth for as long as possible.
- Start by taking good care of your skin as soon as possible. Even if you have no lines or wrinkles yet, you should be protecting your skin. Use a moisturizer in the morning and use a retinol cream at night.
- Avoid UV radiation by wearing clothing that covers your skin and applying sunscreen whenever you spend time outdoors. Sunscreen only works for a few hours, so it is important to take it along and reapply it throughout the day, especially if you’re at a higher elevation or spending time in the water. It is also important to avoid tanning, whether it is in a tanning bed or laying out on the beach. Learn to accept the tone of your skin, and if you really need that sun kissed glow, look into getting a spray tan.
- Reduce stress in your life by exercising regularly, making time for things you love, spending time with friends, and staying on top of deadlines.
- Get enough sleep each night, and if possible, sleep on a satin pillowcase.
How can you reduce the appearance of wrinkles?
While preventing wrinkles is a good first step, there is more you can do to improve your appearance. If you’re looking for a temporary, but non-invasive solution, Botox is a trusted treatment that can reduce or eliminate the appearance of wrinkles. If you’re looking for a more significant and permanent change, a facelift can also improve your appearance and eliminate wrinkles and lines on the face. To learn more about your options, visit the Cleft and Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center.