While the final results from any facial plastic surgery procedure are worth the short recovery period, many patients who are planning treatment such as a brow or eyelid lift, or a full facelift, experience a bit of “stage fright” at the prospect of swelling. This post is dedicated to the management of the natural after-effects of surgery. In fact, some of the tips provided here can benefit patients undergoing non-surgical treatments such as laser skin resurfacing or injectables. Swelling is swelling and, however short-lived it may be, we know you’d like to avoid it.
If you are planning a surgical facial procedure, expect for swelling to subside over a 4- to 6-week period. During this initial time of recovery, approximately 80% reduction in swelling occurs. After that, the remaining 20% resolves a bit more slowly. However, that small amount of residual swelling is typically not even noticeable.
Minimize your Swelling Risk with:
- A pre-surgery diet filled with fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Adequate hydration with water before and following surgery.
- Elevation of the head during the recovery period.
- Talk with us about supplementation with arnica, or ice therapy to minimize swelling.
In addition to taking action steps to lower your post-surgical swelling risk, there are also certain dietary pitfalls you can avoid to enhance your recovery. These include:
- Certain medications that thin the blood, such as ibuprofen and aspirin.
- Exposure to cigarette smoke, first- or second-hand.
- Herbal supplements and teas.
- Extremely spicy foods.
- Fast food and other high-salt processed foods.
Remembering what’s Important
One of the best things you can give to yourself after cosmetic facial plastic surgery is rest. We encourage patients to go slow as they transition back into their normal work and exercise routine, taking at least a few weeks off to focus on rest and eating healthy.
If you have questions about swelling after a cosmetic procedure, we are here to assist you. Sometimes, underlying conditions such as hormone fluctuations or thyroid imbalance make swelling more likely, though not concerning regarding general health or the final result from treatment.
Are you exploring ways to turn the clock back on your appearance? Call 504-378-2030. A thorough consultation and evaluation is an excellent path to outstanding care.
No comments yet.