The day that you look in the mirror and see frown lines, yet again, may be the day that you curse the process of aging. It’s not so much the getting older that hurts, it’s the consequences that come with it. With age, we gain insight and confidence. These are great attributes! What isn’t so great is the appearance of worry lines, or even laugh lines, on the forehead and around the eyes. Patients of the Cleft and Facial Cosmetic Surgery Center can diminish these concerns with a brief visit for Botox®.
What Botox® is
Most people are familiar with this Mother of all Injectable treatments. The formulation is based on purified protein that has been extensively used in clinical therapies for patients with muscular disorders.
What Botox® does
In the cosmetic arena, Botox® is used to restore the appearance of youth. It can do so in a number of ways:
- Botox® injections into the muscle just beneath the brows releases the downward pull on them. Eyebrows can be lifted just enough to create a natural, “awake” appearance; but not one of surprise.
- Fine lines and creases around the eyes, as well as furrowed brows (frown lines) are eased by the Botox® injectable.
- Patients who suffer from hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, can find relief by treating overactive sweat glands with Botox®.
How Botox® does it
Purified botulinum toxin has a history in clinical medicine for the treatment of excessive or involuntary muscular contraction. It was through this therapeutic use of the protein that its cosmetic benefits were discovered. Muscles that are treated with Botox® temporarily lose their ability to receive neurotransmission from the brain. This allows the tensed tissues to relax, and the overlying skin to become smoother and younger looking.
What you Need to Know about Botox®
- When it comes to Botox®, more is definitely not better. Too much of this product can give you that look of surprise that you probably want to avoid!
- Botox® should not be performed on pregnant or breastfeeding women. Even if you are trying to conceive, you want to talk with your doctor about the best timing for treatment.
- Certain medications and natural supplements create a bruising risk due to thinning the blood. Prior to Botox® treatment, avoid the use of aspirin and ibuprofen, and also supplements like vitamin E and fish oil if you want to minimize the chance of bruising.
- Guys can get in on the Botox® action, too!
Recreating the look of youth need not be difficult. To learn more about Botox®, call (504) 378-2030.